Saturday, January 31, 2009

Just the Girls

Today's blog is about girlfriends and funny stories. I don't think I would want to live without them. Girlfriends are unique in how they are with each other. I have been blessed to have several really good heart friends throughout my life. I also had/have a wonderful mom who was/is a good friend to me. Plus my daughter and two daughters-in-love (as I like to call them...I hate the term in-law...it sounds like you're an illegal or something) are wonderful friends as well. I like to surround myself with good friends who are funny, take care of me and tell me when I am wrong. I don't want a "you-are-wonderful-and-I-always-agree-with-you" kind of friend. To me those aren't really your friends.

Last night a group of my girl friends from my small group bible study met for a pajama party. We all wore our flannels, brought either a sweet or savory snack and hung out together...just the girls....for a few hours. We laughed so much and ate way too much. We also worked on a service project for our church. There was a bit of grumbling that went on with this service project but we got the job done pretty quick. Anywhoooo.....the gal who hosted the party had "googled" a list of fun questions to get to know each other a little better. We passed around the bowl and would each answer our question or someone else's question. This was really fun and I would tell you some of the stories..........but I can't. :-) I can share with you some of my stories that I had forgotten and are quite funny. I can't even remember what question that was asked that reminded me of these two stories....that would have been helpful.....but the stories themselves are about bad dating experiences way back when I was a teenager before I met my hubby.

Story #1 I went out with this guy that was allot older then me. He was from a wealthy family and a great guy. We flirted a lot at the restaurant where I worked so when he asked me out on a date.........I thought there is no way my folks would let me go. But they did since he was such a nice boy....man. We went out to eat locally and afterwards he took me to see the family ponderosa that I had never seen before. I was quite impressed. He then turned to me, took my hand in his and told me that "someday" this would be all ours. WHAT! He told me his intentions were honorable...that he was dating me because he was looking for a wife. Looking back on this....this is a really sweet story but not to a 17 year old that wasn't looking for a husband....yet. We never went out again...much to the disappointment of my mom as he was a good catch. I remember praying and telling God that I was done looking for Mr. Right and that he would have to pick him...not me. A week later I went out with my husband and we have been together ever since. So it just wasn't God's timing for me to "swoon" over this older guy.....I saved all that up for Troy. :-)

Story #2 When I was a junior in high school I couldn't find a date for the prom to save my life. In my home town the gals asked the guys to the junior prom. This was very hard for me as I had never asked a guy out in my life. Well that year I got to practice three times. Ugh! Talk about humbling. The first guy I asked said yes. He was an old boyfriend of mine who had gone off to college. An hour later he called back and said his live in girlfriend (whom I think he married) wasn't happy. So I asked another guy from my hometown and he said yes. Then I found out he was dating one of my friends....so I called it off. He needed to take her to the prom...not me. Guy number three I met at a dance. He seemed nice, was a little older, shy but could dance country western like nobodies business. :-) I had to ask my parents permission to ask this third guy since he was from out of town. As "luck" would have it my parents knew his parents and said sure you can call and ask him. He said yes. I was thrilled. I was going to the prom with a guy no one knew and we were going to have a great time dancing the night away. Oh the bliss of it all. It's amazing how ones perspective can change in an instant. The week of my prom I got paged over the intercom at school to say I had a phone call in the office. Both times it was this guys MOTHER calling to ask.........first what color was my dress so she could make sure that his corsage and clothes matched mine and number two call was to ask if I was allergic to any flowers. Hello doesn't this seem weird to anyone??? When I told my mom she laughed and had a funny look on her face but she didn't elaborate. I didn't ask why either. Big mistake. The day of the prom arrives and about two hours before my date is going to pick me up a big Cadillac car pulls into the driveway of our home. Driving is this guys mother and my date is in the passenger side. She proceeds to get out with his tux, a blow dryer and suit case, camera etc to take movies and still shots. I start running to my room thinking what is going on? She comes in and she wants to be a part of ME getting ready and she wants to take pictures.....like we are getting married or something. She she is talking 90 miles a minutes and I am thinking this cannot be happening to me. My dad hightails it out of the house while my mother attempts to chat with lady who will not stop talking. My date...........says nothing! I got ready on my own...thank you very much. I came out and she pinned the corsage to my dress, kisses me with her ruby red lips and leaves a mark...the whole time pictures are being taken and of course there were movies of this event too and still my date says.........nothing. I don't remember much about what I said or did but I do know that I was ticked beyond belief. I had quite the temper and I am sure it showed. Finally the time to go arrives and I think.........is she taking us to the prom too? Oh and did I mention that this GUY is out of high school. Okay now where was I............oh yes we are on our way out the door and I am really hoping it is just the two of us. Whew it was. She was going to stay and keep my parents company till we got back at midnight. :-) We didn't or I should say I didn't speak. He tried. We didn't dance. I couldn't. He took me home. I said good night to him and his mother and thought............never again. Looking back on it I was quite a brat to him and as I grew older I felt really guilty. I ran into him about 8 years or so ago and knew I needed to apologize for my behavior. But before I could he did....he said he was sorry he had to bring his mom. He lived in her house, didn't have a car of his own and he either let her come or he couldn't have come. I told him how sorry I was too and thankfully that was that.

Thankfully everyone at the pj party had silly stories like mine that we all shared in the laughter. There is just something about telling a funny story from your past that brings out all sorts of memories. These gals are some of my heart friends whom I have grown to love and treasure so much. I am a better person because God allowed them into my life. For that I will always be grateful. I am so glad that we had this time together .................with just the girls. Be Blessed until next time.

1 comment:

  1. OK - so I have to see the pics from the "silent" prom. Too funny! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete