Friday, January 30, 2009

Plank or sawdust?

How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces. Matthew 7:4-6

This scripture out of Matthew has always amused me when I visualize the question posed in this verse? However this question is no laughing matter when you take time to ponder it's true meaning. Last night at our small group gathering we discussed what we thought this scripture was all about. I am still having trouble wrapping my mind around the whole meaning. I keep thinking there has to be more to it then what it states. But does it? I always thought it meant that if you were advising someone about some sin in their life that you had to make sure you too were not in that same sin. But now I think it means that I am not to judge that person's little speck when I myself have a huge plank of sin that I don't even see. First I need to deal with my own sin in my life by repenting to God. Then as God takes that sin away and gives me a right heart to speak to my brother I will see their sin for what it is....God alone will give me the insight to be able to do this. I have more pondering and praying to do about this because I am just not sure I have the whole concept right. However I am sure that God will give me the answers I seek. Be blessed ya'll and watch out for your planks....you could poke an eye out. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment