Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What's in a word?

Good morning bloggers! Today's topic is "what's in a word?" Yesterday a friend made a silly comment to me that struck me to the core. She called me lazy. LAZY! I really don't like that word. I don't think that is true. And yet why did it upset me so much? Am I lazy? This I pondered most of the afternoon. She was giving me a hard time for not walking yesterday morning. We started walking last summer. As the winter has gotten colder I had told her I would not walk when it was in the 30's or below. (Not that the 30's is all that cold but it sure feels colder here then it did in some of the drier states I have lived in.) So I decided that this morning regardless of how cold it was that I would get up and walk. Well I got an email from her saying it was going to be in the 20's and she wouldn't be walking either. So is 20's cold or is 30's cold and who decides what's what? I think both are cold and not fit for human's to be walking in. (I am sure this summer when it is hotter than hot I will be wishing for some 30 degree weather. Ha! ) It's all in ones perspective....I guess. But still why did the word lazy get me upset? I guess because the truth of the matter is I tend to be lazy when it comes to excersise. If I wasn't lazy I wouldn't be this out of shape. Walking each morning has been a very hard thing...one I had hoped I would grow to love. I haven't! I still dread the walking part. If it wasn't for my friends company I probably would have quit long ago. I do feel better when I walk. I can't say I have more energy.........yet.......but I do sleep a whole lot better. So I have learned that some words still have the power to hurt. How many times have I said things to people in jest (just like my friend) that I didn't really mean. But I wonder how those words affected them. I can't change the things I have said but I can be more careful in the future of what I do say. I am so thankful to my friend for her comment. It turned out to be "not quite so silly" but one I should ponder a little more in the future with my own choice of words to others. So what's in a word.....do you have words that push your buttons???? Let me know....until next time.............be blessed!

4 comments:

  1. That's a good question! It's hard putting ourselves in others shoes and truly thinking of what we're going to say before actually saying it; especially when we're angry and hurt. But even in jesting...I guess that's where we, especially me, need to start thinking of how our words affect others. Very thought provoking, Pam. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela it is so true that one just needs a wake up call so to speak to realise that just one word can cause havoc. I am also careful of the choice of words. Lazy is also a word used to often by myself. The Lord has ways of helping us improve in our own small way with just one word to ponder about at a time.
    Take care and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true! I remember in high school a friend tole me I was "hokey". Now looking back, I really was (and still am...and proud that I am). But at the time, it hurt. She didn't mean anything by it, but after I realized that it was true, I went home and cried. But...just to stir the pot a little, do we take offense to these things because we feel there's some truth behind what they say? Like...maybe they're calling us out on something that we don't want to face? I mean, it still hurts, but is that why? Just a thought and a question...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I think I take offense and get mad when there is truth to it. If it isn't true then it doesn't bother me. I worry about being lazy all the time because I don't work outside the home. I know that I am not productive like I use to be...money wise so that effects my thinking. Even though I do things....as the world sees they're not much. I shouldn't worry so much what the world see in what God sees.

    ReplyDelete