Monday, February 23, 2009

31 years and still growing strong

Hello fellow bloggers. This past week (2/19/09) was my 31st wedding anniversary to Troy. We celebrated for four days. :-) Troy and I were married when we were only 18 years old in Moriarty, New Mexico. We had no idea at the time what an adventure our marriage to each other would be. We have had many wonderful moments. We have also shared in many tramatic times as well. When we pledged to love and care for one another in sickness and in health to death do us part.....I don't think we REALLY knew what all that would entail. We still don't grasp that fully but we have with God's grace and strength been able to persevere with love and respect towards one another. I just wanted to share some of those things that I adore and respect of my dear husband Troy.

1. By God's grace..........Troy has grown to be a man after God's own heart.

2. Troy is an wonderful husband, father, and grandfather to our family.

3. He gives 110 % to his job. He is willing and does the smallest tasks no matter how awful those tasks might be. He has a servant heart and believes in setting an example. He has worked hard at any job he has ever had. He starts from the bottom and works his way to the top. He isn't afraid to tackle any task and does so with attention to detail and quality.

4. He has grown to be very patient with me and all my faults. He lovingly admonishes me when I sin but also lifts me up and encourages me in my walk with Christ.

5. When Troy is with any of our grandkids....his face glows. He will wrestle with them, carry them anywhere and answer any/all questions with such love. It makes my heart rejoice to watch this.

6. Troy is the leader of our family. I respect his decisions and know that he has our best interest at heart.

7. He has the best laugh. We have shared in many fabulous laughing sessions. Sometimes we will reflect on what was so funny..........and can't really recall but find that funny as well. He can also laugh at himself. He is learning not to take himself too seriously.

8. I love that Troy loves to hunt. I know shocking isn't it!!!! He is very good at it and it comes so natural to him. I am proud of his skills in this area.

9. Troy can fix anything if he can google it, buy a book to show him how etc....he is not afraid to give it a go as "Mr. Fix-it." Most of the time he just KNOW's how to fix something.....I find this amazing.

10. My husband loves me dearly. He would die for me. He shows me every day how much he cares and supports me by his actions and words. God has blessed me with a wonderful husband. I am blessed. God willing we will have another 31 years or more together. May our lives reflect God's glory.

This list is not all I love about my hubby but I just wanted to share a few things......not everything.

As women we play such a important role in encouraging our husbands and others around us. Many of us (me included) fail to realize that we can kill with our words or heal. More and more often I choose to heal with my words. But every so often I stick my foot in my mouth big time. Do you ever do that? Do you remember hearing this little rhyme as a kid...."sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." True stick and stones could break bones. But they heal. A scar is left but they do heal. Words tend to linger so much longer. I can remember many hurtful things I have had said to me or said to others. They don't just go away. Sometimes they even shape us into who we become. OUCH! That is scary isn't it....especially if we have been molded by hurtful words. On the other side of the coin though.......words build up and encourage. It's amazing when someone gives you a compliment or tells you what a good job you have done how that will effect your day. You feel like you can do anything. There is spring to your step and you just feel better.

Our Lord Jesus is the word of God in the flesh. He has so many wonderful encouraging things to say to each of us. Take time in your busy schedule to spend time with him today. Find out what he would like to say to you today. I find that I hear his still small voice more and listen more. His words are nourishment for my parched soul. His words are what fill me. His words of encouragement are examples of the words I should and can use today with others.

I have been asked many times.......how did you and Troy make it all these years married. At first I use to say......... ALOT OF WORK. Ha! Which is partially true but mostly it is faith in Jesus Christ and the WORK that he alone is doing in our lives. He has given Troy and I grace to overlook many hurtfilled words, the grace to love one another when we are unlovable, the grace to encourage, celebrate or admonish when needed. He is molding us and changing our hearts every day to be more like His. WOW! I find that amazing. I hope that we have many more years together as a married couple. I like hanging out with Troy. He is fun and so good for me. So until next time friends.........encourage someone with your words today and be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations and may you be very blessed in growing old so good together. We are on our 36th year. ah agree it is a lot of hard work and all of the blessings and courage to stay together come from the Lord only.

    ReplyDelete