Saturday, February 7, 2009

What's your state of mind?

Hello friends! Today is Saturday and a beautiful one it is turning out to be. I am such a silly creature. All winter I have complained of it being too hot here and wanting colder weather. Well I got my wish this week and then some. It has been in the 20's and 30's early in the a.m. Burr!!!I realized I am a wimp. And I realized I liked the colder temps when I was much younger. This damp cold gets to me now that I am older. My bones seem to hurt too. I was at a gathering this week when it dawned on me I am middle age. MIDDLE age! When did that happen? Actually I am past middle age. Because I will be fifty in April and I doubt I will live to be a 100 nor do I think I want to if the aches -n- pains I have now are any indication of how I'd feel then. Ha! So I am getting old. But I also think that getting old is a state of mind. Inside in my spirit I feel like I am still in my late 20's. It's only when I look in the mirror.......with my glasses on........that I know I am old. I see age spots, crows feet around my eyes, moles that were not there the day before, more gray then my normal color....whatever that is! Ha! I have noticed that when I see what I consider to be old people they are not treated well. They aren't treasured like they should be. My grandfather lived to be 95. He had lived through so many decades. He had a wealth of knowledge in his brain that we as his grandkids had no idea exsisted. One time he started talking to us about the time he got his first car. He said he was in his early 20's working on a goat farm with his dad. He came upon a man that would sell him this car for 20-30 goats. My grandpa made the deal and came home to show his dad. His dad was not happy with him and thought he had made a terrible deal. My grandfather tried to convince him by telling him it would only take hours to go into town for supplies instead of it taking three or four days. His father didn't believe him. So my grandfather asked his dad to come with him to town. He did and my great grandfather was so amazed at the speed in which this car traveled. Ha! I think the nearest town was only 20-30 miles away. :-) I would have loved to have seen my grandpa and his father in that car. I could only imagine the story. Goodness where is this pondering leading???? No clue! I just know that I am not getting younger. Life is short and I need to make the most of every moment I have to touch other lives. I don't want to grow old in my spirit. I want to always have that zest for living. Don't you? I believe that our state of mind is a big deal and if we think OLD we will become old and fast. I had a friend that recently passed away. She was close to 80 but I never thought of her as old. She was so much fun. She made making a sandwich fun, cleaning fun, crying fun. Her zest for life and the Lord Jesus was awesome. I miss her so much! I want to be like that when I grow up. :-) So....what's your state of mind....are you old already and you are only in your 20's or are you just waiting for a chance to bless someone's life with your zest for living? Until next time...be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment