Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My sweet Hubby

Good morning friends! I wanted to share with you a sweet story about my every changing/growing Christlike husband....my Troy. Troy and I met when we were 17 years old in the lunch line at school his second day at Moriarty High School in August 1976. He had moved to Moriarty that summer with his family from Bloomfield NM. He was not happy to be in a new school but all the girls in Moriarty were truly happy to have a "new boy" in their midst. So it didn't take long for all of us to somehow meet him. My best friend at the time was a gal that was in the band. Troy was also in the band and she had met him that summer through her church. So she together with Troy's new friend Dennis introduced us in the lunch line. Funny how a moment in time that you don't place much importance at the time can change your life. Who knew that we would spend a lifetime together......God did. He is so clever like that. Anyway Troy was very romantic in those days. We went on dates every day and pretty much spent every waking moment we could until we graduated from High School.

After graduation Troy was off to boot camp for the Air Force and I was off to college. Less then a year later we married. 1 year and three months later we had our first child. 20 months after that our second child and then four years later our third. Time just has a way of slowly going by and before you know you have both changed so much and the romance is gone. We raised our kids together in a modest home. We went to church now and again but it wasn't a weekly thing.....big mistake. Troy worked a lot of hours with the Air Force. I also worked outside the home so there really wasn't time for us to spend a whole lot of time together. Looking back that was another mistake we made. We didn't make time for each other and we should have. We should have always had a date night every week....even if it was just sitting outside on the porch swing. By God's grace we made it through all the graduations, marriages etc. We found ourselves alone in 2002 when our youngest graduated H.S.

In January of 2003 we moved to Florida. It was time for us to get to know each other again....spend time together....talk....go on vacations etc. Instead we found that we were fighting over some of the same stuff we had fought over back 20 years ago. UGH! Slowly through much wisdom from God we have managed to fall in love with each other again. I realized I hadn't been that great of a wife to Troy. I had been pretty selfish for many years. It's impossible to go back and relive any of those times. Thank goodness for God's mercies new every morning. Troy and I talk so much now. We have learned to communicate and put each others needs before the other. We aren't perfect. God continues to change our hearts. Daily we have grown in our love of Christ. Not only has our walk with God been strengthened but our marriage continues to grow stronger because of the Lord.

Okay now to the reason for this blog....my recent story......on Saturday we went to Blue Lake Alabama for a meeting of Emmaus folks. We always stop in Defuniak Springs at a place called Ed's Pub Burger. Yummy stuff that! I love Ed's as they have the best burgers and they have crushed ice. There is nothing better then a coca cola on crushed ice. We ordered our drinks and when the waitress brought our drinks I noticed there was cubed ice. I was disappointed and asked her why and she said she just didn't get it out of that cooler. Oh well no big deal. She takes our order and while we are waiting for our meal other Emmaus folks show up and we are all visiting all over the place in the cafe. The waitress comes back for our drinks so that she can refill them. Before she can wisk them away....Troy places his hand on my drink and says to the girl....would you please empty out this ice and give my wife crushed ice...she really likes crushed ice...................................................<---stunned silence from me. :-) I have never been so touched in a long time. That had to be the SWEETEST thing he has done for me in a long time. Troy isn't the type to draw attention to himself and this did draw the attention........first from me and then from the people at our table. He was embarassed. I told him he had just earned 30,000 brownie points. He just smiled. Funny thing is I felt cherished in that moment, in that cafe with all those people everywhere.

We think that we have to do grand elaborate things to bring people a little joy. But it is all about the small things. Troy's words have continued to bless me this week. I have thought of them often and I have shared them with other friends. The reaction is the same. AWE! I love Troy very much. I realize that I treasure his friendship. I love his insight and wit. He is my champion when no one else is. He is also strong and not fearful to tell me when I am wrong or need an attitude adjustment. He is my best friend.

I praise God for loving me so much that he brought a man like Troy into my life. I am thankful that God is changing our hearts, that he is giving us grace to give more of ourselves to each other and to change our "it's all about me" kind of thinking to it's all about serving others.

Take a moment this week to speak a word of encouragement to a friend or spouse. Think of little ways that you can show your loved ones you care. Until next time.........be blessed ya'll.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Pam! God has really worked in and through your lives over the last few years! :-) Thank you for posting this story and reminding me how blessed I truly am to have a loving husband who does the little things..things that I don't always appreciate or recognize!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder, Pam!

    ReplyDelete