Saturday, August 4, 2012

Going banner crazy

I am going banner crazy these days.  Have you been on PINTEREST lately?  There are ideas for banners all over the place.  I like them.  At first I wasn't sure what they were used for. But the more I see, the more I like them. I realize that they can be used for anything.....to celebrate a birthday, a holiday, a family, etc.  Or they can be used to declare ones favorite team, declare your faith, shout out your family name.  They are used to decorate a mantel, as a valance, party decoration, wall art, name plate etc and the list goes one.  The first one I made was for a friend to celebrate her ordination.  It didn't take too long and I was able to use scraps of fabric plus use up some of my scrap book paper in the process.



I love being able to use things I already have.  The next one I made was for another friend who had decorated her home for the 4th of July.  She is patriotic about sharing our nations independence and keeps up her decor for the whole month of July. So I made this one saying the word Freedom.

I used paper scraps for it and just regular old glue to piece it together.  It came together so fast too and now has a place of honor in my friends home.........at least for the month of July.

Then I decided to try my hand at making one for a babies room.  I have a friend who is having a boy who gave me some fabric she had purchased to make her little guy a quilt.  I thought......I can make a banner using their last name with the scraps.  Again I used fabric and paper for this one that says P R I D G E N.

I noticed I was having trouble see the letters on some of my banners like this one here.  I needed to use a very dark contrasting fabric so that the letters will pop. I can barely see the letters in this one.
Fabric and paper were used plus my trusty sewing machine and glue.  I used a template to make the wonky rectangle pattern.  Plus I used old ribbon I found at a collectible place to sew the banner squares on.  It went together quite easily.  The last thing I did on this one was try to antique the letters with shoe polish.  I will not be doing that again.  I don't like the look of the shoe polish.
S M I T H  is what this one says.

Here is one that I don't like the look of.  I made it using old quilt pieces and paper  Here is it but I am thinking of changing it somehow.  It's just not right.  :)



One morning before going off to work I tried my hand at this one which I must say was my favorite.  It has our family name on it and I adore it.  I adore it for several reasons.  #1 Americana one of my fave themes.  #2 It went together super duper fast, like less then an hour.  #3 I got to sew it all which I love.  #4 The squares were already cut pieces of quilt squares I got at a yard sale years and years ago....so it's cheap.     #5  They do not have a finished edge and are vintage with are my favorite.  #6 The squares do not match each other.

All the banners have a theme in mind and all go together.  I like this look most of the time.  But I LOVE the new styles I see a lot where nothing matches.  I love to use different textures of fabric, colors, styles, genres to make an item for my home.  Oh I know this isn't for everyone but for some reason I really like it.  Anything goes with the decor and I don't get hung up on it not matching.

There is a gal whose blog I stumbled upon via PINTERST and her name is Dottie Angel.  http://www.dottieangel.blogspot.com/   She is the one really who jump started my now crazy banner journey. She makes banners out of old vintage notions, doilies, bits of this and that.  Her stuff is truly wonderful, whimsical and fun. Check her out when you have a moment or two.  She'd be proud of the banner I am currently working on.  Here's a sneak peak at some of the flags......



And that my friends is all I have on the subject of my banner making for now.  Sewing for me is relaxing.  I do a lot of pondering as I put my fingers to my task at hand.  Sometimes I pray for the person to whom I will be sprinkling a little cheer into their day.  God teaches me things along the way too.

I am striving to be a model of the Proverbs 31 women who sews for her family to help along the way.  Even if it's just a pretty thing to be placed in a friends home for a while to cheer them, I pray it brightens their day.  I leave you my friends with the scripture from Proverbs 31.......

A wife of noble character who can find? 
    She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value. 
12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands. 
14 She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy. 
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.


God bless!

1 comment:

  1. We should celebrate life everyday! These lovely banners foster that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete